Thursday, March 6, 2014

Eleanor and Park

ELEANOR AND PARK
by Rainbow Rowell

....................................................

I took a time off reading books for a while. It's been a few months since I've had my nose up in science fictions, love stories and tragic romances. I've been pretty much too busy in school and such..

Last week, I finished this book called Eleanor and Park.
First of all, I'm the one of those people who "Judges the book by its cover". Usually, I end up reading a crappy book with a wonderful cover because of my attitude. But somehow, this book caught my attention. It's a simple white paperback book with a simple cover but it's beautiful in a way. Of course being an Assumptionist since the 2nd grade, I've been living by the quote "Simplicity is truth". Yeah I learned how to appreciate the simple things in life... 

Anyway the book is your typical teenage love story. I know, Im not the one who fancies cliche love stories with the same plot as any other book but this one is somehow unique. Most books have their protagonists as the typical nice girl falling for a varsity player or the weird nerdy girl who falls for this guy who ends up getting hurt, nope. 

The main protagonist is an insecure young girl named Eleanor who's seen as a weirdo. Eleanor is mainly insecure because of her body, being overweight, her face covered with freckles, her untamed bright red curly hair and her her odd fashion sense. And Park, a quirky Asian who's almost like a wallflower. His biggest insecurity is having the 'Asian' look. 

Mainly this book deserves a spot in my blog because it's the first book I've read in a loooong time. Not really but in a while. Somehow it's a bit cliche but it's not predictable, most of the time. 

This story taught me that it's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for what you're not.




No comments:

Post a Comment